<$BlogRSDUrl$>


search
for
 About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Support Bioline  News

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Celebrating 20 years of Bioline at CRIA

20 Years ago, scholarly communication via the Internet had only just started. Prior to the arrival of the Web, Bioline experimented with early communication systems such as Gopher, Telnet and file transfer protocols, and allowed early exchange of research globally [1]. CRIA, who provided the technical infrastructure for Bioline, was a pioneer in developing new tools and working with the UK in publication management. In 1993, along with the partner publishers in developing countries, the Bioline platform was launched.

In 2000, the University of Toronto Scarborough arrived as a new partner to take over the document management and international advocacy work. As an early adopter of the Web and provider of freely available journal articles, Bioline was invited to participate in the first Budapest Open Access Initiative meeting[2], an historical event that defined the Open Access movement. The early founders of Bioline could not have anticipated the global growth of Open Access. It now feels natural to share data and publications, 20 years ago it was a very new concept. But much still needed to be done, as the research carried out in the developing world remained ‘invisible’, due to lack of communication capability and other barriers [3]. Bioline made possible, distribution of research information between the South and the North and enabling capacity building of more appropriate development programs. The usage statistics of Bioline demonstrate the increasing value of the service. For example, the number of full text articles downloaded for the year of 2006 was 2.5 million, whereas the number for a single month in 2013 was 2.1 million.

Today open access is a global phenomenon. More and more organisations, funders and even countries are putting in place policies for the free and open exchange of publications and data. Bioline is very proud to have contributed to this movement and the transformation it has brought to the advancement of science communication throughout the world. On December 10th 2013, Bioline celebrated its 20th birthday, and looks forward to working with others in taking the process forward.

[1] https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/71/2/Bioline-ALPSP.pdf
[2] http://www.budapestopenaccessinitiative.org/read
[3]http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001016
  

2 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Congratulations to the whole Bioline Team for 20 years or progress and achievements.

5:24 PM  
Blogger jane said...

A great thanks to DR.INEGBEDION the man that help me when i was very sick, i and my husband where HIV positive and my little daughter had it too, I have try all my possible best to get cured but I couldn’t come up with anything, am from Congo married and Lives in USA I have gone to different hospital but no cure, when i discovered i was losing my mind because of thinking i will die soon, I informed my family back home in my country, they feet bad, but told me about a cure in Africa, they gave me the contact of DR.INEGBEDION, i contacted him and asked him what he can do for me to get cured, he told me what to do, and whats requested for the cure, that I should give my details to him and the man requested for items for the cure i and my husband provided everything to him on the evening of it he called me and told me what to do after two weeks i and my husband went for test and we where tested negative, is close to five months now theres no week i dont go for test just to be sure am okay, but all the results shows am perfectly fine, you can email him now through drinegbedionspellhomes@gmail.com or drinegbedionspellhome@outlook.com or call him on +2347063628174 or add him on his whats-app number at +2349051177568.

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Home Faq Resources Mailing List Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2010,
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil